Opportunities to Respond to the Homeless in HoustonBack To List View
Many have expressed the desire to help the homeless in Houston. We are blessed to have mission partners serving the homeless in many different capacities that you could serve with or help. There are different levels of engagement depending on your availability and desire.
First time or one time opportunities:
- Join Ken Eakins with Star of Hope on a ride along in the “Love in Action” van which goes out daily Mon – Fri. during the day. They also have a monthly Homeless Outreach BBQ held on the third Sat. of the month. If you would like to join Ken as he connects with the homeless, email Ken directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a great starting point.
- Volunteer to help with the Houston Coalition for the Homeless’ annual “Homeless Count and Survey” on January 24, 25, & 26, 2017. To learn more about it and to register, go to www.homelesshouston.org.
More relational and regular volunteer opportunities:
- Main Street Ministries has opportunities to respond to the homeless that include: Operation ID (Identification Assistance), Sunday Garden Worship Service (Worship + Dinner and Fellowship), Celebrate Recovery (Dinner and Fellowship + Recovery group meeting), Personal Guidance & Financial Assistance for Housing, Employment, other support services, Bible Studies: A Purpose Driven Life Bible Study and Alph Course early 2017) and Bible study classes at the VA. MSM is located across from FPC’s north parking lot. See www.msmhouston.org.
- Open Door Mission welcomes volunteers and has needs for tutors, mentors, food service volunteers, etc. See www.opendoormissionhouston.org for details.
- Donate items for hygiene kits for Star of Hope’s “Love in Action” van that goes out daily to come alongside the homeless. Hygiene kits include travel size shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, deodorant, razor, hand sanitizer, baby wipes, wash cloth, and socks in a gallon zip lock. Drop off at Welcome Center.
- Open Door Mission welcomes donation of clothing, books and materials for their clients. See www.opendoormissionhouston.org for lists of needed items.
- EAC is in urgent need of the following men’s clothing items for the Clothing Center: jeans/khaki pants (sizes 30-36), belts (all sizes), shoes—especially sneakers (all sizes), and men’s t-shirts, casual and dress shirts. www.eachouston.org
- FPC has established local mission partners serving the homeless of Houston in various capacities, and would welcome your financial donations and time.
- FPC’s 2016 State of the City Symposium included presentations on the homeless. The recordings are available on www.fpchouston.org/messages .
- FPC’s 2017 State of the City Symposium Feb. 24 & 25, 2017
- Toxic Charity by Robert Lupton
- Houston Coalition for the Homeless – www.homelesshouston.org,
If you have additional ideas or thoughts, please contact Mary-Floye Federer, Dir of Ministry Partnerships and Engagement, at 713-620-6485 or email@example.com.