Taking FPC Home for the Holidays
Story told by Ann Reed, In-Home Care Coordinator on November 21, 2016
Part of the joy of the Congregational Life Ministry is staying in close contact with FPC members who are no longer able to attend worship services or other church activities at 5300 Main Street. These members served in every area of the life of the church for so many years and dearly love FPC. We are blessed to be able to take worship and communion services to these members in their homes at retirement centers or in their private residences. Those who have led the way for so many generations are worthy of our honor and care.
During this season, many opportunities to connect with these valued members of FPC have been scheduled:
• In September, a service of dedication led by Pastor Birchfield at Brazos Tower was conducted for our many members who have moved into new homes in this wonderful new facility at this Presbyterian retirement community.
• Bill Heston led a service of Remembrance on All Saints Day at the Bayou Manor community.
• Christmas Chapels led by FPC are scheduled for the residents at The Hallmark and Holly Hall.
• At Christmas, volunteers deliver poinsettias to our homebound members.
• A Phone-a-Thon is held yearly, and senior adult members are contacted by volunteers to make sure the church is aware of any needs they may have.
• Adult Plus activity on December 15th will celebrate Christmas with a program featuring the “Chancel Bells” and a holiday meal served by volunteers.
• The “Fellowship Class” will celebrate their annual Christmas luncheon on December 18th with a piano duet of favorite carols.
• Upon request, videos of the FPC worship services are mailed to all who cannot attend.
There are many year round opportunities to help these members stay connected to their FPC family: Elders serve homebound communion and volunteers make monthly visits, speak at chapel services and Bible studies at retirement centers and serve twice a month at Adult Plus at the church. These and other activities for 60+ adults are sponsored by the Adult Enrichment Ministry chaired by Mike Wisda.
To make referrals or inquire about serving, contact email@example.com or Kathy Daly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the Lord. (Lev. 19:32 NIV)